DIY | LACE UP JEANS
I’m a bit tied up at the moment. In my new DIY lace up jeans that is. I am really having a moment with the edgy feels & have been seeing this trend all over the place. Rather than buy, I grabbed a bunch of grommets, ribbon and the best fitting ASOS white denim, and had myself an afternoon. To soften up the edgy grommets I laced my jeans with ribbon to add a more feminine vibe. I will be wearing these all spring/summer and I am obsessed with how they came out! Anything to elevate a basic pair a jeans is a win in my book.
Check out the material list and step by step guide to making the jeans below!
>> white denim (under $40!)
> >silver grommets w/ pliers (I wish I had this tool when I made mine)
>> large needle
STEP x STEP TO LACE UP JEANS
- Mark both legs with pencil or fabric chalk where you want to place grommets. I started mine 1″ below the back pocket line and 1″ on each side of the side seams.
- Place sharp side of the grommet inside the pant exactly underneath pencil mark with sharp side face up. Hold in place until you can put firmly on a hard surface. I used a grommet kit that came with a round black back that has grooves (pictured with supplies) to put inside the pant and underneath the backside of grommet to stop moving (grommet fits perfectly in the grooves) while you hammer down but the pliers will have the same effect if not better to hold grommets in place.
- Place the clean edge of grommet on top of the fabric where the pencil mark is so the right side of the fabric is between the top and bottom of the grommets.
- Use the pliers/ and or the hammer to secure grommets in place.
- I suggest practicing a couple on a piece of fabric you do not care about just to get the hang of it! It took a couple tries to get it perfect.
- Repeat all the way down the leg and on the other side.
- Use a small pair of scissors to cut a while in the middle of the grommets to make room for the ribbon to move through the holes.
- Using a large needle, weave the ribbon on the way down the leg.
- Tie a bow in place.
RATHER BUY THAN DIY: TOP LACE UP & GROMMET OBSESSIONS
This post is in collaboration with ASOS. As always, creativity and opinions are my own.